Putting CASID in your will is one of the most lasting contributions you can make to our work.
How Legacy Giving Works
There are many ways to remember CASID in your will. It doesn’t have to be a large amount—every dollar makes a difference. When you plan a gift in your will, your estate benefits in that it receives a charitable tax receipt for the donated portion of your estate. This will help to offset tax owing on your estate.
You can leave a share of your assets, you can leave a fixed sum of money or you can make a gift of property: real estate or personal property—jewellery, antiques or a collection.
Here are two simple ways that you can put a charitable gift in your will.
- You can name the residue of your Estate in whole or as a proportion using percentages. The residue is what remains after taxes, administrative expenses and your heirs have received their specific gifts or proportion. An advantage is that as your circumstances change, your will does not have to be altered, as the proportion remains the same.
Sample wording: “I bequeath the residue of my estate (or _______% of the residue of my estate) to CASID.”
- Another way is to name a specific amount.
Sample wording: “I give $_____________to support the work of CASID.”
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
All that’s needed to leave a legacy gift is a few sentences in your will. Here is some information that will be helpful:
- Our legal name is the Canadian Association for the Study of International Development;
- Our charitable registration number is 89440 0399 RR0001;
- Our address is c/o The Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences, 275 Bank St., Suite 300, Ottawa, ON K2P 2L6;
There’s no commitment: Circumstances can change. Because you are not actually making a gift until after your lifetime, you can change your mind and your Will at any time.
For more information about legacy giving: LEAVE A LEGACY™ is a national public awareness program designed to raise awareness of the importance of including a charitable gift in the estate planning process.
If you choose to include CASID in your Will, please let us know. We would welcome the opportunity to thank you.