PhD research assistantship available starting Fall 2018.
This 3-year position is part of an NSF-funded project that examines the intersection of social inequalities and payments for ecosystem services. The project’s abstract can
be found at https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=1660481. This position provides an annual stipend of $22,850, a tuition waiver, and health insurance.
(1) managing day-to-day communication and relationship between research team and field partner in Bolivia,
(2) collecting quantitative data in the field in rural Bolivia (as soon as summer 2018) as part of a randomized control trial (RCT);
(3) analyzing this quantitative data; and (4) assisting investigators with other research-related project activities. While the doctoral student will assist the project, he/she will also be encouraged to develop his/her own dissertation research
questions to pursue within the context of the broader project.
The ideal candidate is interested in interdisciplinary, mixed-methods research; is familiar with natural resource decision making, political ecology, and/or other natural
resource/conservation social science disciplines/fields; has good oral communication and writing skills; is able to pay attention to detail; and is willing and able to follow instructions
carefully and work independently.
(1) Competency in spoken Spanish; (2) GPA 3.2 or equivalent; (3)
TOEFL 550 paper-based or 77 Internet-based if required; and (4) a master's degree prior to admission.
Strongly preferred qualifications: (1) survey research experience;
(2) experimental design experience; (3) statistical/econometric analysis experience; and
(4) field experience in the rural Global South.
Applicants should send a letter of interest and CV (incl. GPA and GRE scores) via email to Dr. Zhao Ma (email@example.com)
prior to formally applying to the Purdue Graduate School. Review of applications will start on
January 15, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. Women and underrepresented minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. Purdue University is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer.