The Canadian Association for the Study of International Development (CASID) is a national, bilingual, interdisciplinary and pluralistic association devoted to the promotion of new knowledge in the broad field of international development. CASID is a membership-based organization.
To accomplish its mission to promote and support international development studies in Canada and abroad, CASID maintains a listserv and a blog to enhance communication and the sharing of information among interested and engaged IDS people worldwide. CASID organizes one annual conference and sponsors five regional events per year. The ambition of both the annual conference and the regional events is to bring together people working and studying in the broad field of international development to share opinions, experiences and research findings, to enhance networking and communication in the IDS community, and to facilitate the emergence of new development researchers and practitioners through active interaction and cooperation with Development Studies and related programs in Canadian universities and colleges. CASID also oversees the publication of two periodicals, the Canadian Journal of Development Studies (CJDS) and the Development Forum.
CASID is recruiting a graduate student, recent graduate or early/new career member to provide social media support for the organization. CASID currently has limited activity on social media and is looking to enhance its online presence to better connect with members and the development community. This includes promoting CASID initiatives, news and events, including content from the Canadian Journal of Development Studies and other related material.
- Approximately 3 hour per week commitment
- Day-to-day management of CASID Twitter and Facebook accounts
- Monthly reporting of basic analytics on social media engagement
- Staying up to date with multi-sector Canadian and global international development communities of research and practice
- Graduate student currently enrolled in OR recent graduate of an international development program, or discipline based masters/PhD with an international development focus (new/early career international development professionals also eligible)
- CASID member
- Record of CASID involvement, ie: conference attendee, PhD school attendee etc. (preferred)
- Appreciation for CASID’s organizational values and purpose
- Regular and reliable access to internet
- English/French bilingual (preferred)
*note if not already a member but are committed to becoming an actively involved member please still apply
Preferred experience and skills
- Communications, public relations or community engagement experience
- Experience with social media management within an organization or member network, preferably non-profit, academic, think tank or other similar institutions
- Experience with social media management platforms (ie: Hootsuite, Tweetdeck etc.), including basic social media analytics and reporting
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Sound judgement, responsible conduct
- Keen interest in and awareness of international development news, events, organizations etc.
Compensation for this contribution will be $20/hr, for approximately 3hr/week.
Will be hired for an initial 6-month term, with a probationary period of two months. Contract is extendable based on performance and fit. Start for position will be ASAP.
Reports to CASID Executive Council, through EC Member Lacey Willmott (U Waterloo based).
Submission of interest
Submit a letter of introduction and maximum two-page CV, demonstrating relevant experience and suitability for this position to email@example.com in an email titled CASID Social Media Recruitment. Deadline to submit is November 2, 2017.